Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Parsnips

My mom always had to have Parsnips at our Thanksgiving table so now sometimes I do and sometimes I don't have them at ours, because I'm the only one who will eat them. Maybe my daughter does now, I don't remember. Anyway, I think of them and I think of thanksgiving. For those of you who are clueless as to what I'm writing about, parsnips are those strange white carrot looking veggies in the produce section. They have a sweet earthy taste somewhat like a carrot but different from a carrot. There, that was clear. The thing that is clear is that there are two distinct camps when it comes to parsnips, you either hate them or you adore them.

Here is how I do it, seems like a labor intensive dish and you'll use every cooking technique while making them, but you'll be in the kitchen anyway and they can be prepared a day or two before and warmed up when you serve.

Parsnips
this is a no measure recipe

Parsnips-probably 1/2 per person if you've never had them before
butter
brown sugar
salt and pepper

So scrape or peel the parsnips like you would a carrot. Cut off the ends and I cut into chunks about 5 or 6 inches long. Cover with water and boil until tender but not mushy. Drain.

When cool enough to handle, slice lengthwise so that you have nice long and thin slices. I then fry in butter until golden or a little color on both sides but not overcooked, season with salt and pepper.

Then transfer to a casserole and dot with butter and sprinkle all slices with brown sugar. You will then bake to warm. Or do what I do and heat up in the microwave because by this time you've cooked them to death anyway. They are dead, and safe to eat by now. You can tell that I always thought this was a funny recipe or steps to take for one mere vegetable. But I must admit, now that I'm older, I am hooked and will be buying these next week to boil, fry and bake.

Parsnips are also great in stews along with the carrots. Treat them as you would a carrot if putting them in stew.


Post your favorite non traditional sounding Thanksgiving dish or recipe if you want on the comments section of this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment