Friday, October 8, 2010

Homemade doughnuts

This recipe is brilliant. Brilliant, I say. I was strolling over at "$5 dinners" and found this
http://www.5dollardinners.com/2010/10/angies-home-donuts.html
I am loving the convenience lately anyway of refrigerated biscuit dough in the tubes. When I made the Monkey Bread I was pleasantly surprised at how it tasted like a yeast dough when cooked in that way. I hope to try this soon and get a few photos of my own up with this post.

Perfect for fall weather and Halloween time, can you imagine a cup of hot spiced cider with this, or a even a cold glass of apple juice, oh yeah. This is the simple recipe in my own words:

Angie's Homemade Donuts
from the blog, "$5 dinners"

2 tubes of refrigerated biscuits
oil for frying
sugar for coating afterwards Line up the biscuits, use a pop bottle cap to cut out the center.Fry doughnuts and centers in hot oil, being careful not to start a fire or splash wicked hot grease on yourself. When golden brown on both sides, transfer to a paper towel lined plate, and while still hot put in a brown grocery bag with sugar and/or sugar and cinnamon and shake until coated. Or, if you would prefer to frost or glaze your donuts, omit the sugar coating step and make a simple glaze.Above photo shows a plain glaze made out of powdered sugar, vanilla, water and a touch of butter. I think that I would have to make a chocolate glaze to top mine though. With sprinkles on top.
Above, chocolate glaze, no sprinkles. These turned out small because they were from the smaller biscuits. We liked them a lot. They taste different than a bakery donut, but we liked them enough to do it again. They fry up quick, it maybe took me 30 minutes from start to finish. That included making two different kinds of glazes and glazing them. And watching part of "the Price is Right"!

No comments:

Post a Comment