Thursday, October 8, 2009

The best apple pie you'll ever eat

Okay, another recipe, I know, I know. But I just can't help myself with it being fall and all. Trying to psyche myself up that it IS fall. Everywhere but here. But the apple sales at the grocery stores tell me it is autumn, so therefore I believe that it is.

Can I tell you how much I love this recipe for Apple Pie? And I haven't made other apple pies so I can't really compare it to much. When I found this pie recipe I was done looking.

And I think that I have frozen it before, in it's uncooked state. Why not? You buy frozen pies that way. But to tell you that I did and it turned out fine and how I did it, I can't. Because I may not actually remember how, but that might mean that I am old and we all know that I'm not so....Enough rambling, here it is.

Apple Crunch Pie
from Woman's Day or Family Circle Magazina circa 1991 or 1992

1 pie crust for the bottom

Topping:
1 C. flour
1/2 C. brown sugar
1/2 C. white sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 stick cold marg. cut in small pieces

Mix in together, cut in butter with a pastry blender or two table knives.

Filling:
7 medium granny smith apples
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 C. sugar
3 Tbsp. flour
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg

Heat oven to 450 degrees F. Place oven rack in lowest position. Put pie plate on cookie sheet.

Peel, halve and core apples, slice 1/8 inch thick. Or however you like them. Add other ingredients for filling. Layer in pie plate, mounding in center. Pat topping over apples. Bake 15 minutes and reduce heat to 350 for 45 minutes. Put foil around eges or on op if it starts to get too brown.

NOTE: I use this recipe for apple crisp when I make it. For apple crisp, I bake for aprox. 1 hr. at 350. When making the pie recipe, the apples will be tall in the pie crust. But after baking they will sink down, so you want it to be tall otherwise you'll have a thin pie. We wouldn't want a thin pie, would we?

No comments:

Post a Comment