Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Menus with what's on sale Oct. 28.-Nov. 3

Did I actually just write November down like it was really going to be here in less than a week? Can't be so, say it isn't so and that my life isn't racing past me.

Some smokin deals this week, especially if you will be able to hit Fry's Moonlight Madness sale tomorrow, Thursday, from 3 to 9p.m. Gala apples for .99 a 3 lb. bag. At first I read .99 and assumed that meant per pound, and thought to myself, "what's so special about that?", then I went back and saw that is was for a 3 lb. bag. That's .33 lb. kids! And there is a limit of 4 bags, so you could buy 12 lbs. of apples for $4 and put them in the fruit section of the fridge and be set for a couple of weeks.

I wanted to tell you about something. Even at risk that the world will know what a slob I am. Our drinking glasses had this film on them. The "glass" glasses and the plastic glasses. I would hand wash them and they still would look bad and the "glass" glasses had spots on them still. I just thought that I wasn't washing them good enough. Well, the lightbulb finally went on in my little head Monday while I was in the kitchen and after washing and drying the same glass a second time, holding it up to the light and it still didn't look good, I thought to myself, "those are hard water stains." DUH. I know, it takes me awhile sometimes but with most things or some things, I eventually get it. So I pulled out the vinegar and poured it into a glass, then got out more glasses and poured some in, then pulled out more glasses and poured the vinegar already in glasses into them and poured some vinegar on my wash cloth and scrubbed the outsides as well as the insides. Then after washing and drying and holding up to the window to inspect I was so happy. I now have the most sparkling looking glasses in the world. My husband and daughter both pointed out to me that I could have run vinegar through the dishwasher with most probably the same results, but oh, well. Caution: Use gloves if you have any kind of small cut on your hands. Not that I did, but if your hands are not in good shape it will hurt, and will hurt bad. Vinegar is fast becoming my most used food stuff for cleaning. I put a splash in the bottom of my canner and the pot that had the lids in it after a canning session and it removes the calcium build up and I occassionally soak a cloth around my kitchen faucet with hot vinegar to remove the hard water stains on the countertop. And on the water/ice dispenser for the fridge.
EDIT: If you do put vinegar on your granite countertops, or anything else, please rinse off thoroughly with clear water as granite is porous, as you know, and vinegar IS an acid.

Here it is:

$70.96

Breakfast
1-Cereal, milk and cantaloupe chunks
2-Oatmeal, Sunny D juice
3-Cereal, milk, hot cocoa
4-Oatmeal, Hot cocoa
5-Oatmeal, apple juice
6-French toast, sausage links
7-Waffles, bacon, juice or cocoa, whatever is left

Lunch
1-PB&J sandwich, apple
2-Lunch meat sandwich, cheez-its crackers, carrots
3-PB&J sandwich, granola bar, grapes
4-Lunch meat sandwich, cheez-its crackers, apple
5-PB&J sandwich, cheez-its crackers, granola bar
6-Mac & cheese, apple
7-Tacquitos, grapes, Pepsi

Dinner
1-Mac & Cheese, broccoli, pear crisp/vanilla ice cream for dessert. see http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/10/pear-crisp-with-vanilla-ice-cream/ for a recipe for pear crisp.
2-Pizza, green salad
3-Food Club skillet dinner, squash(buy a roast, ask the butcher to grind 2/3 into ground beef for the skillet dinner and chili dogs and cut up 1/3 into chunks for stew)
4-Spaghetti and red sauce, french baguette
5-Chili dogs or hot dog, buns, chips and dip. see http://food.aol.com/experts/tyler-florence/chili-dogs-with-creamy-coleslaw Or if you want to trade out the Cheez-its or something else for a can of Hormel chili for .89 at Fry's, then do that.
6-Baked chicken, mandarin orange green salad with a sweet dressing, Rice A Roni
7-Beef stew with onions, carrots, potatoes and cheddar garlic biscuits

Snacks:
Microwave popcorn

CHEDDAR GARLIC BISCUITS
I don't remember if I got this from the Bisquick box or a magazine

2 C. bisquick
1/2 C. shredded cheddar cheese
sliced/diced green onion to taste
2/3 C. milk
1/4 C. butter or marg., melted
1/2 tsp. garlic powder

In a bowl, combine the biscuit mix, cheese and onion. Stir in milk until a soft dough form; stir 30 seconds longer. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 450 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Combine butter and garlic powder; brush over biscuits. Serve warm.

MANDARIN SALAD
from Woman's Day, 8/8/95, I've modified it though

Dressing:
1/2 C. veg. oil
1/4 C. cider vinegar
1/4 C. sugar
1 tsp. salt

Mix in a jar or tupperware container by shaking it. Tear lettuce, slice green onions and add drained can of mandarin oranges. Toss with dressing.

If you wish to add sugared almonds put 1 cup of sliced almonds in a small pan over mdium heat with 1/3 cup of sugar. When sugar melts and starts to carmelize and almonds are very lightly toasted, put in a non plastic bowl or turn out onto parchment paper to cool. Break apart when cool. Can use in the salad if you wish. But I didn't allow for almonds in the grocery list. Or try it with cashews, pecans, walnuts sugared. Better yet, sugared pecans in the salad with some chunks of blue cheese in it! yummmmm.

Grocery List:
Albertsons
Whole fryer, .48 lb., buy aprox. 3 lbs. at $1.44
John Morrell meat weiners, .49 with in ad coupon from Wed. paper, buy one
Dreyers vanilla ice cream, $2.27

Bashas
Boneless cross rib roast, $1.87 lb., aprox. 3 lbs. for $5.61(you might need 4 lbs., you are using this for 3 meals, possibly)
slicing tomatoes, .77 lb.
Food Cub dip, .99
Kellogg's cereals, $1.88, buy 2
Pepsi 2 liter, with shocker coupon from Wed. ad, .49, limit 1
Hillshire Farms deli selects, $2.88
Food Club skillet Classics, 10/$10, buy 1
Bisquick, 2/$5, buy 1
Food Club Mac & Cheese, 2/$1, buy 3
Food Club oats, $1.99
Eggs, I've allowed for .99 for 1 doz.
Rice A Roni, $1, buy 1
Lettuce, I've allowed for $1.50
Potatoes, .59 lb., buy 1 lb.
green onions, I've allowed for .89 for 1 bunch
Bashas milk, $2.19, buy 2
Bakery hot dog buns, .99, buy 1
beef broth, I've allowed for .75, buy 2

Fry's (use a Fresh and Easy $3 off of $30 purchase here, or your Albertson's $10 off of $100 purchase coupon)
Fry's mega 10 deal
1-Sunny D citrus drink, .89
2-Banquet brown and serve sausage links, .89
3-Tombstone pizza, $1.99
4-Cheez-its crackers, .99
5-Dole mandarin oranges, .49
6-Kraft shredded cheese, $1.99
7-Jose' Ole' Taquitos, $1.99
8-Swiss Miss cocoa, .79
9-Quaker granola bars, $1.49
10-Lay's Potato chips (for dip), $1.77

Regular sale items
Fresh baked french baquette, $1.00
Bartlett pears, .49 lb, buy 3 lbs. or 4-5 pears at $1.47
Kroger mini peeled carrots, $1
Kroger Value bread, .88, buy 3
Kroger Value spaghetti sauce, $1.15
Fry's spaghetti, .88
onion, I've allowed for .50
Kroger Value Peanut butter, $1.49

Fry's Moonlight Madness sale from 3-9p.m. on Thursday
Langers Apple juice, .88, buy 1
Pop Secret popcorn, .88, buy 1
Gala apples, .99 lb., 3 lb. bag, buy 3 (albertson's also has 3 lbs. for .99)
Bar S/Kroger Value bacon, .97 (Albertson's has bacon for .99)

Sprouts
Cantaloupe, .97 ea
Seedless grapes, .97 lb, buy 2 lbs.
Acorn squash, .69 lb., buy 2 lbs.

Other great deals:
Dole bananas, .39 lb-Albertsons
red or Granny apples, .99 for a 3 lb. bag-Albertsons
Northwest gala, .49 lb.-Fry's
chicken drums or thighs, .88 lb.-Fry's
Bulk foods, save 25%-Fry's
Moonlight madness-Doritos, $1.48-Fry's
Moonlight madness-Nestle candies, $1.88-Fry's
Moonlight madness-Wonka candy, $1.67-Fry's
Kroger semisweet baking chips, .97-Fry's
Split chicken breast, .87 lb.-Bashas
M&M/Mars or Hersheys fun size candy, $1.48 with shocker coupon-Bashas
Langers 3 liter apple juice or cider with shocker coupon, $1.48-Bashas
Lay Potato chips, $1.88-Bashas
Bar S meat franks, .99-Bashas
Mi Ranchitos tortilla chips, .99-Bashas
Hunt's diced tomatoes, .99-Bashas
Mott's applesauce, 2/$3-Bashas
Yams, 99 lb.-Bashas

Items not on the grocery list:
ketchup
butter
brown sugar
syrup
flour
almonds
chili powder
mayonnaise
mustard
waffle syrup or powdered sugar
jelly
garlic powder
cider vinegar
veg. oil
cinnamon

2 comments:

  1. I remove shower heads and soak them in vinegar to unclog the pinholes. It works to remove the smell from pet accidents, so I add it to my homemade carpet shampoo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the vinegar tip...I'll have to try it out! Sometimes, I miss the really good deals in AZ. We have 1 store here that doubles coupons UNLESS it is on sale. What's the point of that? But, I am finding that there are deals to be found everywhere even when I can't get half my groceries free....They didn't have .99/3# bag of apples but it's only $1.19 which still is an incredible deal!

    ReplyDelete