Sunday, March 28, 2010

Hamburger

The hamburger (93%) that is on sale for $1.79 lb. at Albertson's this week is really good hamburger. I bought 2 packages yesterday. That was about 10 lbs. I brought it home and browned it up in the fry pan. I have a big fry pan and I had to do it in 3 batches. It was really lean but I still rinsed it off with hot water after it was cooked, drained in a colander, then seasoned it with garlice salt. I then packaged in sandwich baggies and froze. We'll use it for tacos, shepherd's pie, spaghetti sauce, lasagna, crockpot lasagna, quesadillas, burritos, taco soup, macho nachos and enchilada casserole or green enchiladas. Does that sound like we eat a lot of Mexican food? The older I get the more I love it. I couldn't survive living in London or a place where Mexican food doesn't exist and I couldn't buy flour tortillas for cheese crisps. I probably got ten or eleven packages of cooked ground beef. And that was even after the 17 yr. old eating machine had a bowl and a half of straight seasoned hamburger crumbles for his lunch. I take a little comfort in knowing if I am not around my kids could get a bag of straight hamburger out of the freezer, heat it and be perfectly happy with that for lunch or dinner. And one of them would eat the same amount that I intended to use for dinner for the whole family. Anyway, I digress. I am going back for more tomorrow. I may even get really a lot and do some hamburger canning this week. I haven't totally psyched myself up yet to do the canning but maybe by tomorrow I will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment