Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Twice Baked Potatoes

Last year I made these to have for dinner Christmas day. I made up the whole bag of potatoes and froze them since my kids love twice baked potatoes. They didn't last that long but for as long as they did, my kids could pull a potato out of the freezer and pop it into the microwave for a quick snack or lunch during Winter break. So I'm thinking this year that I may make the twice baked potatoes a week ahead, freeze and if I can keep people from eating them before Christmas, my potatoes will be done and all I will have to do is warm them in the microwave or oven for Christmas dinner.

Twice baked potatoes

Potatoes, one per person (?)
sour cream
butter
chopped cooked bacon or bacon pieces
chopped green onion
shredded cheddar
garlic salt if desired
salt and pepper

Wash potatoes and pierce with a fork or knife and place uncovered on a baking sheet. Bake potatoes in the oven at 350 for about an hour depending on their size. While still hot but cool enough to handle, slice a part of the top of the potato off, scoop out flesh into a bowl and leave shells intact on baking sheet. Add some butter, milk, sour cream to flesh and mash with a masher. When desired consistency add bacon, cheese and green onion and salt and pepper. Fill into shells, top with more cheese and bake until hot or until cheese melts if they are already hot. You can freeze before baking if you want.

If you want to, instead of a whole potato for one serving, you could slice the potato in half after baking making two servings from one potato. Do this if the potatoes are big or if there are a lot of children you may be serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment