Friday, April 2, 2010

Carrot Cake

Lately I have settled for the Betty Crocker carrot cake mix as my carrot cake fix. I like to make it into cupcakes. I like the boxed carrot cake mixes. And I can make them with gelatin or baking powder/oil/water as a substitute for the eggs. I like to pop a spoonful or two of cake batter into my mouth as I'm putting the cupcakes in the oven to bake, since I don't make it with eggs, the best part of the whole baking experience.

I don't think that I have made this "from scratch" cake in quite awhile. It is a very dense, rustic type cake that is really good. With lots of yummy cream cheese frosting. We had a neighbor across the street from us that used to make this for us. She was a fabulous cook and this is her recipe. So for the hard core carrot cake fanatics out there, that wouldn't dream of using a baking mix for carrot cake, this is for you. You can add raisins and nuts if you wish, it's totally up to you.

Carrot Cake
from Barbara R.

2 C. sugar
4 eggs
1 1/2 C. oil
2 C. sifted flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
3 C. finely grated carrots
1 tsp salt
Raisins and nuts, optional

Mix sugar, oil and egg. Beat well. Add dry ingredients to first mixture and beat well. Add carrots. Bake in two 9" pans at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until done.

NOTE: I've always baked it in a 9x13 pan. But I don't remember for how long. It did take longer.

Frosting

1/2 C finely chopped pecans (I never use nuts in the frosting)
8 oz. cream cheese
2 C. or 1 box of powdered sugar
1/2 stick margerine or butter
2 tsp. vanilla

Beat well. Frost the carrot cake when cooled.

No comments:

Post a Comment