Thursday, July 8, 2010

Sweet and Sour Chicken


I made the Sweet and Sour Chicken recipe tonight for dinner that was in the post earlier today that I got from the "two peas and a pot" blog. Except that I switched out pork from a pork loin instead of using chicken. It was yummy, yummy. I have never been a fan of homemade sweet and sour before because I could never find a sauce to my liking. This one is good. If I would make any changes, I might thicken the sauce slightly with some cornstarch and add it to the pork right before serving so as to keep the pork crisper. Everyone gobbled it down, even the child who is a self proclaimed hater of Asian cuisine. But then again, I don't really know how authentic sweet and sour pork made with ketchup is. I had some sauteed red pepper strips and pineapple chunks on the side for those who like to add one or both of those. Next time I may get crazy and have sauteed onions on the side.

Sweet and Sour Chicken
from the blog, "Two Peas and a Pot"


3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
Salt and pepper
1 C. cornstarch
1/4 C. canola oil

Cut the boneless chicken breasts into chunks. Season with salt and pepper. Coat chicken in cornstarch. Fry in a little oil until brown but not cooked through. Place in a single layer in a baking dish. Mix sauce ingredients together and pour over the chicken.

Sauce:
3/4 C. sugar
4 T. ketchup
1/2 C. vinegar
1 T. soy sauce
1 tsp. garlic salt

Bake for 1 hr. at 325 degrees. Turn chicken every 15 minutes. If you want extra sauce, make another batch and put in a pot and bring to a boil. Keep at medium heat, stirring often for 6-8 minutes until reduced slightly.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you liked it! It is definitely going on our list of go-to dinners! :)

    Jana
    {Two Peas and a Pot}

    ReplyDelete