Sunday, February 21, 2010

Life

Here's the deal. There is just so much that needs to be done. Where I live anyway. So I've decided to add yet another thing to my life, just one a day, to get it done. Just like the one drawer a day challenge that Sooz and I are doing. I challenged Sooz to do one menu a day. She hasn't given me an answer yet either. This refers to the Wendy DeWitt method of Food Storage planning, buying and storing. If you are scratching your head and saying, "What?" right now, then refer to the left hand side and click onto the YouTube videos that were taken of one of Wendy's seminars on food storage. Her blog is also on the left side. It's called Everything Under the Sun it also explains her method and has recipes and ideas and explains the card system. If you're not LDS you might also find the videos and blog helpful, interesting and they might answer a lot of questions you may have had about your weird mormon neighbors and their food hoarding. Actually, I hear that even the U.S. government now encourages people to have at least a 3 month supply of food. So, I've decided to implement Wendy's card system for food storage and do a meal a day. For me it may be as simple as just deciding on the meal on one day and figuring out the ingredients and how much I'll need for 26 weeks (I plan on doing 14 menu ideas) another day. Join me.

4 comments:

  1. I like Wendy's idea for regular pantry planning. Makes it easier for those who aren't into cooking and provides enough variety that the family won't insist on take out.

    I think the food supply is important in these uncertain times when job loss or other financial circumstance could force a family to rely on their own stores. Even if a family applies for Food Stamps or other aid, paperwork takes time. And even without great tragedy, a broken leg could make it difficult to go grocery shopping. So much easier to cook from the pantry and only have the DH pickup milk, rather than trust him with a fistful of coupons and one of my highly annotated lists. (Not that our DHs aren't wonderful people, but, y'know, I think the bargain-hunting gene is mostly X-chromosome.

    Can my menu Number 1 be Ramen-Tuna Casserole?

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome. I love this. forwarding it on to my mom. She'll love it. Not sure if you are/were ever aware of all the "Make-a-mix" cookery cookbooks but . . . . that's my momma! :) So proud. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite cookbooks of all time. I still have my paperback edition from 1978 even though it's falling apart. I always thought, and still do think, those ladies were and are rock stars. Check out Mindy's (aka Mindy likes to coupon) blog on the left under blog favorites, she's "the $50 Stockpile". Great ideas for the stockpile items for the week. She is a writer, but not of cookbooks, though she should write a cookbook. She is my internet friend, although we've never actually met in person.

    ReplyDelete